A reclamation of the sacred space we hold within.
Yoni Steaming is an ancient practice used all over the world. It is a practice that greatly supports female reproductive organs and issues associated with reproductive health. Many women use the practice of yoni steaming to support and improve fertility. Yoni steaming, also called vaginal steaming is done by sitting over a pot of hot water that has been infused with specific herbs.
Why do women Yoni Steam?
When the topic of yoni steaming comes up for the first time, most women’s interest is immediately piqued. I myself was instantly drawn to the practice and have used it regularly for the last 4 years.
The benefits of yoni steaming are:
- Prepares the body for conception by supporting fertility
- Helps women to regulate irregular periods
- Alleviate painful periods
- Moisturizes vaginal tissue
- Repairs uterine tissue.
- Heals uterine fibriods
- Heals endometriosis
- Increases blood circulation
- Helps with vaginal dryness
- Helps relieve menstrual cramps
- Postpartum healing
- Clears out infections
Yoni Steaming for Fertility
When I was getting ready to conceive my first child I did several months of yoni steaming during my preconception period. I would sit on my steam chair holding so much gratitude in my heart that I discovered this healing practice. It felt so good knowing I was doing something that would greatly benefit my body and my child. Knowing the best herbs to use for fertility was key.
What herbs are best for yoni steaming for fertility?
Please note: Essential oils should never under any circumstances be added to a yoni steam.
- Rose petals and buds A very sensual herb that brings vitality to the pelvis. Red is best but pink will work too.
- Damiana A pelvic stimulant that will increase circulation to the pelvis and genitals. Helps to increase libido.
- Hibiscus A mucilage herb meaning it adds moisture and nourishment to the tissues.
- Basil A great herb for general cleansing and for lifting the spirits.
- Calendula officinalis Excellent for nourishing the skin of the vulva this herb is refereed to as a normalizer for the female reproductive system.
Fertility Yoni Steaming Blend
- 1/2 cup Rose petals/buds
- 1/4 cup Damiana
- 1-2 tablespoons Hibiscus
- 1-2 tablespoons Basil
- 1-2 tablespoons Calendula
Where do I purchase yoni steam herbs?
When sourcing herbs for yoni steaming organic herbs are a must. If I do not grow the herbs myself then a company I trust is Mountain Rose Herbs. They carry a plethora of organic medicinal herbs.
What is a steam chair and do I need one?
I personally find steaming to be a lot easier with a steam chair. The one I use is pictured below, my husband made it for me as a Christmas gift several years ago. But you can also buy a chair here. It is also possible to steam without a chair using the DIY method.
How do I steam using the DIY method?
The DIY method is done by kneeling on the floor with your torso upright and your knees apart. The steaming pot is placed in between your knees.
How Do I prepare a yoni steam?
If you are new to this practice entirely, I have written up this little yoni steam guide to help you.
1. Using a clean stainless steel pot bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Once boiling, remove the pot of water from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of herbs.
2. Cover the steaming pot of herbs with a lid and allow to steep for about 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and use your forearm to determine if the temperature of the steam is too hot or not. This is where you really need to use your own judgement. If it is too hot then let it cool a little bit longer. It should be hot but not to the point of being uncomfortable or burning.
4. Place the pot in/under your steam chair or on the floor if using the DIY method. Remove clothes and wrap yourself in a blanket or a bath robe.
5. Sit on the chair or kneel on the floor if using the DIY method and steam for 10-30 minutes.
6. If your menstrual cycle is currently 27 days or less or if you are suffering from night sweats, hot flashes or a bacterial infection you will steam for closer to 10 minutes. If your menstrual cycle is 28 days or longer or you are postpartum post menopause than you can steam for up to 30 minutes.
7. In my case I steamed 1-2 times a week before trying to conceive. You may wish to reach out to certified vaginal steam facilitator. You can find a practitioner by going to Steamy Chick. After we started trying I still steamed 1-2 per week but only before ovulation never after.
Are there any contraindications when it comes to yoni steaming?
Although steaming is a safe and nurturing practice for countless women there are times when it is best to be avoided:
- During menstruation. Avoid yoni steaming during this time because blood vessels are dilated which can increase blood flow.
- While pregnant. Steaming is contraindicated during pregnancy. Some women do choose to steam towards the very end of pregnancy but for this I strongly recommend working with a qualified practitioner.
- After ovulation while trying to conceive. It is important not to steam after ovulation to not disrupt implantation of the fertilized egg.
- If you have open wounds or if you have recently given birth. It is best to wait at least 6 weeks after a vaginal birth to steam. Steaming immediately after giving birth could result in heavy bleeding. For a C-section I would recommend waiting even longer than 6 weeks.
- If you have an IUD.
When is the best time of day to do a yoni steam?
Nighttime is a great time to steam, right before you go to bed. Steaming is very relaxing and getting straight into bed is the best way for the healing to happen. You can however steam at any time it is convenient for you. If you are a mother to young children then try to find a time when either the kids are napping or when there is another adult present who can tend to the children’s need so you can remain relaxed through your steaming session.
How does steaming work?
As you sit in your chair or on the floor hovering over the pot, the steam rises up bringing heat to the pelvic region. This alone improves circulation, counteracting stagnation. Steam is a powerful tool that can penetrate the cells of the pelvic area.
Are there any other herbs typically used in yoni steaming?
There are probably hundreds of herbs that can be used for yoni steaming. Certain herbs are better suited for addressing specific issues. Some other herbs I often work with in making a steaming herbal blend are:
- yarrow leaf and flower Disinfects wounds like from a perineal tear. Supports in healing Urinary Tract Infections, BV and yeast.
- rosemary Clears out infections, bad memories and cold blood.
- motherwort Increases circulation to pelvis. Supports painful cramps, PCOS, postpartum healing, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes and menopausal symptoms.
- lavender Soothing to tissues and muscles.
- mugwort A uterine stimulant that brings on delayed menses but can also halt excessive menstrual bleeding. Helps to release trauma and reclaim your power.
What do I do while yoni steaming?
Some things I like to do are meditate, listen to an audiobook or podcast or simply sit there and relax.
A ritual that expands and heals the spirit within every woman
Almost all women can benefit from yoni steaming including teens, new mamas, postpartum women, peri and post menopausal women. It is a safe way to address many different gynecological concerns as well being a great ritual for self- care and general maintenance.
Steaming in an amazing tool for women to receive gynecological care right in our very own home. Unfortunately some of the main stream solutions for women are not actually supportive of our long term health. I am so honored that one day I will be able to pass down this beautiful ritual to my own daughter.
If you enjoyed this post you may also like my post on making lavender herbal body oil. Another calming an healing ritual.